Current Temp. 42°
Como was first a hamlet founded by prospectors seeking gold in the 1859 Colorado gold rush. As ranchers homesteaded South Park, Como grew to include a post office, store, saloons and cemetery The town’s big break came in 1881 when the Denver, South Park & Pacific Railroad (South Park Line) chose Como as their division point. They built a round house, maintenance yards, depot, restaurant and hotel. The population exploded to about 500, with twice that many trains crewmen and passenegrs in town at any given time.
The South Park Line ran trains through Como south to Buena Vista and Gunnison until a 1910 flood washed out the Trout Creek Pass section. The high line over Boreas Pass, through Breckenridge, then over Fremont Pass to Leadville functioned until 1937. The pass is now open seasonally to passenger cars
Many of the historic buildings remain, like the school, various private houses, and the round house. The Como cemetery tells the story of children dying of disease and men dying from railroad accidents. The railroad eatery is still a restaurant and bed & breakfast. A few shops, a gallery and a private camp survive the isolated winters and busy summers a half mile west of Highway 285.
Get Deals, Discounts, Information and more, in your inbox!