Current Temp. 52°
So much history can be gleamed from Leadville’s two cemeteries. The towns original cemetery sat at the top of the hill where the high school football field is now located. Most of those interred there were moved and no markers remain.
Evergreen Cemetery was established in 1879 and has over 800 graves, some marked with plain markers and others with elaborate tombstones. At St. Joseph’s Catholic Cemetery the rich ethnic heritage can be seen among the 200+ graves reflecting the diversity of mixed heritages present in past and present Leadville.
Directions: from Highway 24 on the south side of town, turn north on McWethy Drive/County Road 37, by the US Forest Service office. The road forks at the middle school. The right fork, Mcwethy/West 10th, leads to Evergreen Cemetery. The left fork, County Road 4/Turquoise Lake road leads to St. Joseph’s.