Current Temp. 26°
The original Town Hall was built in 1880 when the town population was nearing 2,000 people. The current year-round population is 4.
St. Elmo has been a ghost town since 1958.St. Elmo, like most towns built of wood, suffered many serious fires over the years. The most recent fire occurred in 2002 and destroyed several buildings on the south side of Main Street, including the Town Hall. The St. Elmo Property Owners’ Association passed ownership of Town Hall site to Buena Vista Heritage on the condition that BVH re-build it. Fortunately, the building had recently undergone an historical assessment so diagrams and detailed descriptions allowed the building to be reconstructed along the original specs.
BVH finished re-building the Town Hall in 2010 by hanging the original bell, which had been removed decades ago. The building is quite small with two cold jail cells in the back. The furnishings are sparse, fitting for a hand-milled wooden building.
The Town Hall has a display panels telling the history of St. Elmo. It is open most days during the summer.
Get Deals, Discounts, Information and more, in your inbox!