Current Temp. 52°
When the Denver South Park & Pacific Railroad first reached Buena Vista, they had an agreement with the Denver and Rio Grande to share track to Gunnison and Leadville. Soon, changes in management dissolved the agreement. The DSP&P, also called the South Park Line, needed a new route to reach Leadville. In 1882, they surveyed the area and chose to build from Como to Breckenridge, over Boreas Pass. They expanded the maintenance facilities at the Como division point.
Como reached its height in 1910 with two dozen daily trains passing through. The narrow-gauge steam engines were serviced in the round house which, with 19 bays, was the largest on the South Park Line. The original 6-bay stone structure still stands. The rails, wooden bays, and much of the yard was torn down once the railroad was finished with them. The South Park Line closed in the late 1930s. The round house is privately owned and not open to the public.
West of the roundhouse, the white two-story hotel is open as a restaurant and B&B. The current Como Eating House was built in 1897 after the previous version burned down. It was used by tourists and train crews. The rough wooden building to the south was the Como Depot.
Sorry, no upcoming events at this time.
Get Deals, Discounts, Information and more, in your inbox!